16mm in Los Angeles

Igor Riđanović Sep 3, 2015

1. Who is still running telecine with a 16mm gate in Los Angeles? I have a friend who needs to transfer some 16mm IPs and he doesn't like going to Fotokem.

2. 16mm IPs? Yikes.

I know Point 360, Modern Videofilm, Technicolor, eFilm, and Illuminate all can do 16mm scanning. But 16mm IPs are unusual. If these are reductions from 35mm, even worse. No chance to get the OCN?

Illuminate would probably be the cheapest, but I'm not sure if they're using Ranks or what. Another economical company would be Roundabout Post in Burbank -- they're very nice people.

3. Cineliceous, HTV/Illuminate, Roundabout, etc. All the biggies still can as well. Just had a feature IP scanned at Tech on a Scanity and it looks pretty good.

4. Forgot Cinelicious! Good choice. Haven't tried a Scanity yet -- I assume it's just a 4K Spirit with fewer guts and some software refinements. I'm a big fan of the Arriscan and of the Northlight Scanner; Spirit scans can be OK provided you be careful with the enhancement settings and pin it afterwards. I'm not a fan of the Imagica scanners, which I think are no longer made.

There's a company out in Camarillo I only heard of recently called LA Scanworks that apparently can do 16mm and 35mm to 2K/4K/6K, but I don't know how good the quality of their work is. It looks like a very unusual device, not like a traditional flatbed scanner or Spirit.