35mm Quantel Domino with Oxberry to DSLR ?

tom mcgarrity Aug 6, 2015

1. Has anyone tried this ?

2. I have know many people who have done similar things, but never used a DSLR. Most people opt for a monochrome taking camera and R, G, and B LEDs.
    I could give you names and numbers privately if you would like.

Robert Houllahan likes this.
  3. Thanks Adam. Although I got the original 6k CCD camera, I didn't get any Quantel computer hardware or software with the machine when I bought it recently, are there any cheap/up to date options for this ?

4. Not really my area of expertise, but I've been around experts for 20 years. So, I dunno.

5. Thanks Adam. Do you know of a suitable CCD camera if I go the monochrome route ?

6. It's been so long. I seem to remember the name ATMEL.

7. I think the Domino is as dead as a doornail (introduced in 1993, gone 10 years later), but you could try contacting Quantel and see what they say:

Quantel Limited
    Turnpike Road, 

Newbury,
Berkshire RG14 2NX
    United Kingdom
    +44 (0) 1635 48 222
    marketing@quantel.com
    http://www.quantel.com/list.php?a=About_Quantel&as=Contact

Generally speaking, I think it's a bad idea to try to run hardware and software that's 20 years old (except in situations where you have to recover a project from that era). I was never impressed with the Domino system and thought even in the 1990s that Kodak's Cineon made more sense. Running that today would also be a nightmare.

8. Unless, of course, it is anything that is meant to have film go through it. Things like an Oxberry movement, a Christie sync block, a Mitchell 35, etc... But, I did see you said "Generally speaking", so I'll get off your back.
    ;)

Marc Wielage likes this.
  9. Naaaa, film cameras and optical printers could go centuries, as long as you had spare parts. Mechanical stuff... no problem, since there's no software per se, just precision gears and mechanisms. Film recorders or film scanners... that's a problem, because the technology changes so quickly. The CRT-based recorder in the Domino is soft (from what I saw in tests in the 1990s). The scanner wasn't great. There are some fairly inexpensive scanner options these days.

10. Well remembered Adam, there are a few ATMEL cameras on eBay.

11. I'm intrigued to know what you might use a Domino system for these days. I think it was limited to 8bit (with dithering)

12. Just use it for parts for a whole new (and way better) scanner.

Robert Houllahan likes this.
  13. Well Jamie, I have a collection of old 35mm features and trailers, some of which are Eastman and starting to turn red and have Vinegar Syndrome. I bought these two Dominos cheaply and thought it would be nice to transfer some footage before it becomes unviewable.
    Also, having started my career as a Projectionist and ending it as a Lighting Cameraman, this part of the process is something I haven't done 'hands on'
    I've got Arriflex's, Moviecams, and umpteen 35mm movie projectors, but no scanners, till now. Exciting !

14. If I remember correctly, the output from the Quantel scanners was 12 bit, from a 16 bit sensor.
    The scanners were actually very good - better than the alternatives at that time, as was proven when we all worked on Lost In Space...

The creative systems were 8bit, with dynamic rounding.

The film recorders were actually also very good - better than the Solitaire systems they were based on, as Quantel added a travelling slot to restrict light contamination.

But, controlling a Domino Scanner is the issue.

I really have no idea if that is possible without the associated Quantel hardware system.
    It probably is, but you would need assistance with the interfacing from someone within the old Quantel Domino team who knows what's possible.

I have passed this info on to Tom separately already.

Steve

15. I think the Domino was a 6K Kodak Tri-Linear CCD like the Northlight-1 and Imagica (maybe an earlier version of the CCD) and I think it scanned to 10-bit Log Cineon files or 16bit linear TIFFs from a 14-bit (maybe 16bit?) CCD.

Getting it running without the host computer would probably be allot of work. You would have to synchronize the single line of R,G,B coming from the CCD as it sweeps across the film frame with the capture buffer that build the frame in memory. So a combination of the stage driver and it's encoder and the clock readout of the CCD. Finding the associated hardware (Camera-Link ?) for the CCD might be difficult.

It would probably be easier to replace the linear CCD with an Area sensor and then build software around that.

Jason Myres likes this.
  16. Not in 1993. The one I saw at POP was definitely CRT (or so I was told). Soft. I can say for a fact that a 1997 Spirit scanner made better scans, and that actually was CCD -- albeit 1920x1080. ILM also had a proprietary scanner from about 1988 on, but it used two overlapping CCDs and there were issues with consistency on the split down the center. I think they eventually junked it for a Northlight.

Not a fan of the Imagica scanners. Aren't they out of that business now?

17. I suppose they had a flying spot machine at some point but I remember seeing the Domino scanners (and CRT Recorders) at a (Cinegear?) show in NYC when I was at NYU in 93 (92? ) and it had a CCD in it. The guy we work with in LA on our scanners had several Domino scanners ( I think he sold one to Crispen Glover ) and I remember looking at them when I was out there a few years ago. Definitely a Tri-Linear CCD.

YOu can still buy an Imagica from RTI with the 6K or 10K Tri-Linear CCD and of course FotoKem runs the Imagica "Big Foot" for 65mm.

18. :eek: