Café Society (2016): Vittorio Storaro, his DIT and his colourist talk about the film

Alexandros A. Apostolos Apr 18, 2016

1. I agree, lots of interesting things there. The one that made my jaw drop is that he color-timed the entire project in 7 days (!!!). Storaro doesn't screw around.

2. No, he doesn't. But it also helps that Anthony did both the dailies and the DI, and got constant feedback as the shooting progressed. When you get it right in dailies, and you're the same colorist doing the DI, it shortcuts a lot of things. Unfortunately, it's also a rather unusual arrangement.

It also helps that Anthony is a really great guy and a talented colorist.

Marc Wielage likes this.
  3. That's a very inspiring article. I btw do a push/pull on blackshading on RED to get some of the ASA concepts Vittorio was talking about, theoretically you could do the same thing with the alexa double gain but I don't think normal people are allowed to mess with that.

4. The trailer has arrived! Yay!

5. Long time lurker, first time (hopefully not too) controversial poster here... I really respect the knowledge shared in this article. But it is perplexing to me why Woody Allen hasn't had a tougher time getting talented people to work for him. No one seems to give Dylan Farrow enough credit and / or respect. I'm sure most people wouldn't want to hire Bill Cosby... but why are A-listers so eager to still work with Woody Allen?

That being said, this is a fascinating read.. but, I'm sure for many of us, it feels odd supporting this filmmaker.

6. My observation is that you have to separate your opinion of the artist's work from the artist as a human being. There are actors, directors, producers, and rock musicians that I've worked with who are incredible jerks in the real world, but it doesn't detract from the fact that they're very successful and talented in their chosen professors. That doesn't mean I have to like them or want to pal around with them. I can enjoy a Woody Allen film without being repelled by his moral choices. I also don't know enough about what really went on in his life to be able to judge him either way.

On the other hand, I have no plans to watch The Cosby Show anytime soon.

7. I think he's saying that in his opinion
    Mr. Allen is almost surely as bad or worse than Mr. Cosby. Whatever that actually means is in the eye of the beholder, of course. For what it's worth, the news media largely threw Mr. Cosby under the bus, while Mr. Allen has enjoyed being admired and celebrated by journalists. This has almost everything to do with how they are perceived by the general public today.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

8. I think judging morality starts falling into the provence of politics, which (to me anyway) is beyond the scope of this forum.