Carol (2015)

Joana Souza Jan 5, 2016

1. Any thoughts on Carol? I've watched the movie a couple of weeks ago and the cinematography/art direction and color really stayed in my head - maybe because it's so different from many of movies being released now (blue/orange spectre). I know it was shot in 16mm and the grain is very noticeable, but also all the neon, the pale colors! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

2. Beautiful, perfect, amazing!
    Set design and color looks like of the Hopper paintings.

Joana Souza likes this.
  3. True. I wonder if they were a source of inspiration...

4. I also love the lighting and art direction, however, the story didn't really get me in a way that I perhaps had hoped for, maybe I was in the wrong mood or had other expectations ...
    I didn't know that it was shot on 16 but upon seeing it, and the grain, it was pretty clear :D Interesting how the grain seemed to be most prominent in the midtones and lower highlights in most of the scenes, I kind of think it hurt the image sometimes when it was too apparent in the skintones.

2cents..

Joana Souza likes this.
  5. Camera, Light and Color worked very well together, I found. I enjoyed watching the movie a lot. Only at times I thought that the grain management could have been more solid. Especially with the blue noise in the shadows. And what's the thing with the clipped highlights? Apart from that the images were outstanding. It's been a while since I've seen my last film!

6. Joana Souza likes this.