Could this finally be the OLED TV we all been waiting for?

jake blackstone Jan 5, 2017

1. Looks promising, will have to wait for more details.
    http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2017-panasonic-unveils-flagship-ez1002-oled-tv

"The HCX2 processing strives to overcome an inherent OLED shortcoming – wonderfully deep and inky blacks but a shortage of detail therein – by minimising the time and energy required to switch a specific pixel from ‘off’ to ‘on’."
    "The EZ1002 also attempts to bring a little of Panasonic’s pro know-how to the consumer, by not only including ISF (Imaging Science Foundation) calibration settings but allowing users to upload their own colour 3D look-up tables via USB or SD card

mike burton and Marc Wielage like this.
  2. Would make an excellent client display, but unfortunately the peak luminance is still below 1000nit.

Nice to see OLED making such significant progresses each year.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. Anything on pricing yet ?

4. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

I saw the prototype for this display late last year. It's stunning. It is also very thin; the entire panel is only a few mm thick, with a small (approximately) 30cm x 15cm x 3cm block for electronics and I/O on the lower center of the back panel.

The black level linearity is much better, and now seems to fall off around 2% rather than 6-7% like current OLED panels, which eliminates a lot of the plugginess in the blacks. Also, like Panasonic says, you will also be able to load user-created 1D and 65 point 3D .cube luts, so you'll no longer need an external UHD LUT box for calibration. One problem I saw is that it does have a magenta/ green off-axis color cast as you move from extreme left to right, but since it was an early version I'm hoping they'll improve that.

Overall though, this will be the display to beat. The only other display I know of at the moment that has a shot is the LG E or G7 which will be out in March, but will have a much less sophisticated back end, and most likely no ability to load user created LUTs.

Either way, these may finally represent panels you can buy now, and keep for a few years, since they will fix the major outstanding problems we've seen with OLED up until now. After these units are released, improvement will probably be much more incremental from year to year.

6000 Euro/ 7000 USD

5. thanks jason
    when is the expected availably for the US market ?
    thanks
    g

6. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

The LG will be out in March, and the Panasonic will be available later. I haven't heard a specific date, but when I looked at the panel the talk was of "later in the year." Also, the LG will be available though normal retailers, but at least in the US, the EZ1000 (like the CZ950) will only be available directly through Panasonic. My understanding is that they will only send a small number of units to the US, and the rest will go to Europe/ Asia.

If I hear about an actual date, I'll make sure to post it.

mike burton likes this.
  7. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

8. why Panasonic is aiming more to the european market ???

9. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

I actually asked about that. The US is dominated by the low end monitor market, and apparently only a small portion of US consumers will pay for a premium TV. So, companies have started to focus their efforts in areas of the world that will, like Europe and Asia.

10. Ah, that's discouraging.

11. Ah, that's encouraging. :smile:

12. Dado Valentic stated on Linkedin that it will cost less than 5K. Fingers crossed.

Margus Voll and Marc Wielage like this.
  13. I'm funny that way: I like users in Europe and Asia and America and any country to have access to the exact same tools at more or less the same prices, without prejudice or harm. But that's me.

14. Off course. It's encouraging that my market appreciates quality in the image department, not that yours doesn't.

15. Jason Myres

Jason Myres Moderator

We invented things like the "Black Friday doorbuster" and this is the net effect of what we get for that. It would be helpful if people in the US would wait in line all night for awesome TVs rather than really mediocre ones.

Pepijn Klijs and Marc Wielage like this.
  16. I think they got a bit overexcited...