Faust (2011)

Andrew Webb Aug 29, 2016

1. Sokurov (Александр Сокуров) was always known as an extremely unorthodox filmmaker. He was friends with Tarkovsky, so that may explain a lot. He was the author of the Russian Ark, filmed in a single unedited shot (well apparently not exactly a single take, but still), preceding the Birdman by 13 years, which, obviously, was not filmed in a continuous unedited shot:eek: So, yes, as always, another very unusual and daring work by a modern master.

From Wikipedia:
    At the closing ceremony of the Venice Film Festival, Faust was honoured with the festival's highest prize for best film, the Golden Lion. The jury president was the American filmmaker Darren Aronofsky, who said when he presented the winner: "There are some films that make you cry, there are some films that make you laugh, there are some films that change you forever after you see them; and this is one of them.

Andrew Webb likes this.
  2. It's a great movie. The post for this was done at our offices.

3. Is there anything you can tell us about how it was done, or how it was thought about?

4. I started working at Generator Post when this movie was almost done so I don't have any useful anecdotes. The grade, a bunch of effects shots and the Faust logo design (and probably something more) was done there.

I have no info about any artistic decisions that went into the grade. Peter Doyle did it so one should probably ask him.

Andrew Webb likes this.