High Pass Sharpen

Jeremy Ball Sep 1, 2012

1. I am wondering if there is a way to create a high pass sharpen look like you can create in photoshop? I have been able to create this in Smoke and Avid DS using a series of nodes but Resolve has limited node types compared to those software.

Essentially you need to start with a blur node as the radius. Then create a new node that inverts the last node. Then use a Layer mixer or Key mixer to combine an original version of the video with the inverted version. In the layer mixer you need some kind of layer mode (like Average in Smoke) that combines the negative with the positive (original layer) to create a 50% grey. The first node blur will blur the edges depending on how much blur but the majority will be 50% grey.
    From there you use a layer mixer to combine the result of these other nodes with an original version node in Overlay mode.

That is the recipe but I need to figure out a mode in the layer mixer or key mixer that allows you to combine the negative and positive to create 50% grey.

Is this possible in Resolve? Or is there another way to create a High Pass Sharpen. It is such a useful effect for sharpening, gritting up an image or interesting tone effects is you use a high blur setting for the radius.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark Weber likes this.
  2. Believe this accomplishes what you wanted.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9xmxad4biyv2lm/High_Pass_Sharpen_1_1.1.drx

Hint: For additional sharpening effect add a sharpen to the HighPass image itself in node 3. For additional high pass sharpening add serial node after node 1 and blur away. Can also remove blur in node 1+6 to reduce effect.

Seems needlessly complex though. Can do the same thing in one node. ;)

[​IMG]

3. Juan, thanks for this DRX file. Tried it yesterday in Resolve 9.1. Had to correct node 9 as it was no longer inverted. Worked a treat and got pretty close to the effect in Photoshop.

Out of interest how would you go about doing this in a single node?

4. Adam,
    Can you post your Smoke Node Tree on here? Would like to see how it's done.
    Thanks!
    Sandeep.

Edit: Sorry meant to address this to Jeremy.

5. Hi,

by one node:

1. go to blur tab - mist
    2. Adjust Radius to 0
    3. Adjust Scaling for final effect

KwangWoo likes this.
  6. I think the level and coring softness control in the blur palette are designed to do something very similar: limit the sharpening to areas of high detail. Is there any advantage to doing it the way described by Jeremy and posted by Juan?

7. Resolve has a very limited set of color correction tools and the Hight Pass filter is a prime example. I convinced that the Blackmagic designers and experts would not be able to understand the need for the Hight Pass filter and other important tools .
    To do a perfect High Pass filter you need to have 2 outputs. The first output is a blur, the second output is the mask from the first output, inverted with an Add or subtract blending mode at 100% with a scale, and an offset depending on the bit depth, it needs to be very precise. The second output is blend with the first output in LinearLight blending mode at 100%.
    The hight Pass filter is a very important tool to enhancement and improve your footage. Don't look at it as a simple sharpening tool, it is not.
    People like me who come from the Printing and VFX side of thing are really unhappy that the Hight Pass filter, the LinearLight/SoftLight/Luminosity/Color/Saturation blending modes, the OSC Auto Color Correction, the Gradient Map and a proper Curves are missing from this amazing software that is Resolve.

Anh Truong likes this.
  8. please! reupload, thanks

9. Did store it in the past on my harddrive. Please try to download zip-file

Attached Files:

10. Ive downloaded this and it doesnt work in resolve 10 viewing the node tree after importing it shows it as a blank null.

11. You know, I think between finding a way to qualify what you're trying to sharpen, plus using the new Splitter/Combiner nodes (which allow attacking YUV, HSL, or RGB in three separate channels), I think there's a way to get very close to the effect the o.p. wanted.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't necessarily use a splitter/combiner mode every day, but for certain things it can achieve some very interesting results.

12. Splitter/combiner only works in RGB. But you can just use the channel selection to work YUV or HSL (or RGB actually) just not splitter combiner.

I don't think the RGB or YUV or HSL color encoding would actually accomplish what the op wanted though. That node tree does, and still works in 10. You have to fix the invert, that's all.

13. Ah, I was misreading the manual, assuming there was a way to get the three nodes to display as YUV rather than RGB. I still think pulling a luminance key, going for the extreme highlights, and just sharpening that would get the job accomplished (possibly with windows). I'd have to try your multi-node approach to see what the advantages would be with using a combiner node. In truth, sharpening is very, very dodgy in any application.

14. High guys. I'm trying to get this to work within Resolve 12, yet it doesn't appear to be translating correctly. Needing this effect urgently to help a grade along.
    Can someone provide the process for each node step by step? Cheers:)