Mac Pro or Hackintosh?

Discussion in 'OSx86' started by Pepijn Klijs, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Pepijn Klijs

Message Count:
    Moderator Note: New thread created for the benefit of Jean Christophe. See original discussion here.

Ha, yes, and extremely usefull as well! What do you say Jason? Worth another section in this forum:)?
  2. Pepijn Klijs

Message Count:
    Somebody wrote (and deleted it?):
    Yes, a real mac will always be more of a safe/stable option than a Hackintosh, agreed.

But having worked with it for over one year now, I can't say my system has had any major crashes or hickups. I think what is important to realise is that it can take a lot of time and work to get it working correctly, but once you've figured out the puzzle, it's not that hard the replace a missing piece anymore. Internet forums such as Tonymac play a good role in this as well, as more and more people are sharing their experiences, it has become pretty easy to find solutions, compatible hardware etc. That said, you gotta have a nerdy state of mind and love figuring things out (which I believe the poster of this comment has ;)). If you get nervous facing those tasks, buy a real Mac and get relaxed.

One last point. I see a lot of posts around these forums and others about problem with nvidia drivers, cuda drivers, apple drivers, windows drivers etc. I think the hassle you run into doing an update on a hackintosh isn't that much different anymore than you would get doin' it on your qualified Mac Pro or Win system.
  3. Jason Myres Moderator

Message Count:
    Amen.

I have heard a GTX680 with a Gigabyte Z77 is very easy to get up and running. And with Resolve 9 there isn't any real noticeable difference between a GTX 680 with/without a GUI card, that does make for a nice system that works well with Resolve and Premiere without a lot of effort.

When I was using a Hackintosh with 10.6.8 and Resolve 8, I had multiple GPUs, but it took about a month of experimenting to get the strings right. I'm not sure the method is relevant anymore, but I've attached a PDF for the process I used to get it going.

Attached Files:

4. Pepijn Klijs

Message Count:
    No, not at all! Or not like that! The PDF was impressive:). Everything is pretty much well taken care of by the Multibeast installer supplied by TonyMac, if not already supported in the OS these days. In Lion I had to edit some kexts and also use a hex editor on some files which took me two weeks to figure out, but now, with Mountain Lion I think I can completely install from scratch in one hour. Evolution.
  5. Juan Salvo

Message Count:
    Almost as if you had Apple's blessing by omission. The dirty secret of hackintosh is that Apple could squash it with one update. As of Lion they could do that retroactively. They've got "kill switch" in the os. And yet they don't. I think the hackintosh is a bit of a gateway drug to a real mac, for people who don't already have macs, they can build an affordable one, and then later buy a laptop when they want/can afford stability.
  6. Jason Myres Moderator

Message Count:
    New forums are always an option. For right now, I don't think posting in CPU-GPU is limiting the conversation. However, if a new Mac Pro isn't announced, that might change.

Edit: We now have an OSx86 forum here: http://www.liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?forums/osx86.68/
  7. Pepijn Klijs

Message Count:
    Now that you mention it, wasn't the rumor around that there would be a new mac pro somewhere in April? Ah, f... it there's always rumors and new rumor dates. Silly question.
    Juan Salvo likes this.
  8. Juan Salvo

Message Count:
    I've heard rumor dates for about half of May!
  9. Pepijn Klijs

Message Count:
    Thanks, I'll put that in my hackintosh iCal!
  10. jean christophe savelli

Message Count:
    Others rumors says that nothing happen with apple until end of the year, rumors ! :)
  11. Jason Myres Moderator

Message Count:
    For me, this is exactly what happened. As soon as I started generating real income doing color, my Hackintosh days were over. I do think they play an important role filling in the gap in certain situations. I was also surprised to find out that some pretty famous people are using hackintoshes, however they have several of them, so they aren't totally dependent on the uptime of a single workstation.

Well, more like evolution* with an asterisk. There are some known good combinations that work well. But, I've also heard multiple GPUs, and mixing GPUs (GUI/ CUDA) is still pretty tough. There is a definite sandbox, and if you stay inside it, I think you can get some work done, but venture out and the pain and suffering ramp up pretty quickly. I would say the cost/benefit right now with a Hackintosh is about 50/50, where they create just about as many problems as they solve.
  12. Pepijn Klijs

Message Count:
    Aren't we all working in a sandbox when configuring our Resolve system? Limited to what works and what doesn't, regardless of our system? And talking about limitations, the Mac Pro has too many these days, that's why some professionals even prefer the hackintosh route.

I truly think your cost/benefit estimation is off, way off. And probably other hackintosh users will agree, other mac users won't, such is life:) A lot of it has to do with your demands and expectations as well ofcourse. I'm mostly in broadcast, doing almost only SD and HD projects, so I'm not highest bandwidth consumer at all.
  13. Jason Myres Moderator

Message Count:
    I just think our priorities are different. It isn't as much question of right and wrong, as it is personal preference. And after building six hackintoshes I know what I prefer. That being said, I may be back at any moment. And hopefully by then we'll be enjoying evolution* without the asterisk. :)
  14. Pepijn Klijs

Message Count:
    Who knows... If apple builds a new mac pro based on a x79 chipset, things might even get easier. Let's see. One thing is very sure now, 2013 is Apple's year of truth. If nothing comes up, everything will go away, users, software etc. I don't see their iMac's fillin the gap. Sorry this got so off topic...
  15. Juan Salvo

Message Count:
    I think what ppl fail to realize in the Apple debate is that what we need and what 95% of apple's PC customers need are not the same thing. If they can thrill 95% of their customers, with 50% of the effort at 80% of the cost, then that's certainly a valid, and smart way to go.

The iMac is way more than enough, for even most people in post. I'd say plenty even for colorists working in HD.

The kind of hardware people doing 4K type work need isn't commodity hardware, and the trend of high performance hardware for the masses is kind of over... people have had more processing power than they know what to do with for years. If SGI had survived, they'd be in a prime position today to sell to the niche market that is post.
    Pepijn Klijs and Jason Myres like this.
  16. DavidHildreth

Message Count:
    It's really easy. I had dabbled with Hackintoshes in years past, just using whatever PC hardware I had laying around and they always seemed to be 75% functional, at best.

Last weekend however I put together a 3770K/GA-Z77X-UP5 TH/GTX 660 Ti build and it's running great. No graphics injection, no DSDT, or strange kexts to install. I installed 10.8.3 and it was fully functional within the hour. I've even gotten my Promise R4 to play nice with it.

I was in the market for an iMac but when I read about this build it make a lot of sense to go hack.
    Pepijn Klijs likes this.
  17. Robert Houllahan

Message Count:
    Been running a P6T7 WS Asus board with an i7 for Resolve since Resolve came out, been very reliable at first with 3 X 285's and now with an 8800 and two 580's no longer the latest hardware but I have not had any problems once it was setup. I put top quality parts in it and I initially set it up because I thought the MacPro was a dinosaur... and that was before Apple screwed the industry with the whole FCP-X debacle. I think Apple should make a OSX Workstation release that runs on Supermicro and Z820 workstations, but they won't.

IMO the current Mac-Pro is the real "Hack" i.e. top dollar for three generation old hardware...
    Pepijn Klijs likes this.
  18. Pepijn Klijs

Message Count:
    I agree with the whole comment, just like to add a thought... I call it 'the photoshop effect'. I think Apple's way of handling their pro users (no Mac Pro updates and the release of FCP X) could harm them in the long run. I think people with less technical needs and knowledge will generally like to copy what the Pro's are using to get something that they think is the 'best'. There are millions of people with a copy of Photoshop on their harddrive to edit their holiday and family pictures with. Ofcourse, 99% of the things they're doing can be done in Apple's preview and thus for free, but I think people always want 'the best' solution and love to copy the pro's. So eventually, the 95% of Apple's consumers you were talking about could also change their mind purely based on the reputation of the brand not being so 'pro' anymore. Sell your stock while you can...:)
    Robert Houllahan likes this.
  19. Juan Salvo

Message Count:
    You'd be right except iMacs run Photohop exceptionally well! And Smoke, and Resolve and Nuke, etc. They are 100% valid machines. What we think of as the FCPX disaster, makes Apple a large amount of money, and has breed a HUGE ecosystem of third party apps to enhance and support it. It's a resounding success, and most people buying it do so because of that same "Photoshop effect" the brand is already established... pro is right in the name! Apple has succesfully defeated the "Photoshop Effect", they don't need us.

And just to add to how much they don't need us, the falling stock price has nothing to do with the MacPro or FCPX or even laptops. It's entirely from weaker than expected iPad and iPhone sales. Because of stagnent innovation and the fact that Apples competitors have been catching up of late. If Apple announced tomorrow they were dropping the MacPro, and even the MacMini, I'd venture the stock would probably tick up, not down.

We're the deadest of the dead weight! :confused:
  20. Chris Hocking

Message Count:
    I think the problem is that Apple thinks that the current MacPro is "good enough" currently for the high end - and let's be honest, it pretty much is.

I think they'll release a new MacPro as soon as they've got something that's "amazing". I don't think this "amazing" product will be what we want - but I think in their eyes it will be a suitable replacement - just like for many FCPX is a suitable replacement for FCP7.

I seriously doubt Apple will "kill" the MacPro any time soon. There are too many staff members at Apple, and close 3rd parties that use the MacPro to get their job done. Apple knows the MacPro is important. But they also only ever release a product when they're really ready (hence the reason why they released the iPhone before the iPad, even though they were working on the iPad first).

My 2c.