Youtube adds HDR support

Jussi Rovanpera Nov 8, 2016

1. Great news!

2. "We’ve worked with the DaVinci Resolve team to make uploading HDR just as simple as SDR videos to YouTube."

Samuel Ouimet L. likes this.
  3. A cart before the horse scenario - 99% of YouTube's userbase will be viewing content in SDR, still.
    However, a fantastic and most welcome pavement to be laid down for our future.

4. "We’ve also outfitted the YouTube Spaces in LA and NYC with all the gear needed to produce great HDR content."
    What kind of gear YouTube Spaces was outfitted with, that it needed to produce HDR content?

Ryan Nguyen likes this.
  5. "Starting today, you can watch YouTube videos in HDR on supported devices, such as HDR TVs with the new Chromecast Ultra, and soon on all 2016 Samsung SUHD and UHD TVs"

But you can only PRE-ORDER the Chromecast Ultra... sigh.

So there is no available device that can show youtube HDR?

6. Steve Shaw would point out that the simulated comparison between SDR and HDR is totally misleading as HDR does not make blacks blacker...

[​IMG]

Ryan Nguyen likes this.
  7. And it doesn't affect the overall gamma...

8. Unfortunately, "simulated comparisons" are usually misleading by default.. :(
    This here looks like log to 709, which is absolutely not how sdr to hdr works.

9. You haven't heard of the new cool HDR cameras? ;):p

10. So, since the cat is out of the bag, I recently completed two of the four launch films with Abandon Visuals, and Tresspasser "The Redwoods" and "Underdog" specifically for Youtube's HDR launch yesterday. Spent a day in the San Bruno offices grading on their Sony X300 HDR monitor and an LG G6 OLED for client/consumer display. I did not do the SDR LUT from the 8K HDR grade which I'm hoping to continue helping to develop that workflow with YouTube so the downconvert LUT is a more accurate representation of the final grade we did in HDR. I wish you and I for that matter could see the HDR versions however because they are beautiful. In time hopefully we will.
    I was a bit thrown off when I heard what YouTube was intending to do but after talking to them and seeing their commitment to HDR technology and the future of it I think it's really cool. I own an LG E6 with WebOS and a new UHD HDR Roku and I can't view the content I created (other than through Resolve and my E6) so obviously the options will need to open up more for viewers which they will in time.
    We worked on 8K ProRes444XQ in Resolve debayered from Premiere Pro since Resolve didn't support the Epic-W files yet when we did the grade. Then re-did the grade from scratch on The Redwoods piece and simply did an HDR trim pass on the Underdog film since it was already graded previously. Anyhow, it was my first experience grading HDR and was a lot of fun. Hopefully one day you'll be able to see the HDR version!

Attached Files:

11. very very good

12. I'm curious how this will work out when the YT app will be updated on my Samsung HDR TV. I tried to download the four HDR example movies youtube launched. Unfortunately, my TV does not recognize them as HDR. So I guess I either got the SDR version or something in the metadata does not work for my TV. I already had successfully exported HDR from Adobe Premiere Pro myself to test on my TV and that got recognized since I updated to the CC 2017 version.
    Anyways, I'm really looking forward to more HDR content now that youtube jumped on the bandwagon.

Jussi Rovanpera likes this.
  13. I think this will give a big push in HDR request from mid/small productions.

14. The article said that HDR only works with the Chromecast Ultra at the moment.

15. Yes, that's why I tried to download the files to circumvent the youtube app which is not yet updated and play the files from an USB stick, but no luck so far. My guess is youtube somehow recognizes if HDR playback is available or not. If not it only delivers the SDR version, that's what I downloaded I suppose. Anyways, it's great that youtube pushes this forward. Although for my it will be quite the investment if I want to start grading in HDR.

Jussi Rovanpera likes this.
  16. YouTube does send the SDR version to your smart TV right now. Once it's enabled for WebOS it will recognize your HDR TV and automatically show you the HDR version.
    Grading HDR for YouTube isn't overly expensive IMO. Right now you can go out and buy the newly price reduced LG B6 OLED HDR TV for $1995. Add a BMD Decklink Mini Monitor 4K and a good quality HDMI 2a or 2b cable and you're grading HDR content. The biggest concern for me at the moment is getting the SDR version to be more accurate to the HDR version. This is what I'm currently working on. But, for a fairly reasonable amount of money you can be grading HDR today.

Christopher Barry likes this.
  17. Be very careful attempting to grade HDR on a consumer TV - the built-in roll-off will cause a lot of issues with highlight grading.

Steve

Chen Hua likes this.
  18. Obviously, it would be ideal to be grading on an X300 for every show without a doubt or a Dolby Pulsar. But, (and I know this might not be a popular answer) since we are talking about YouTube as a final destination and since the only other option for people to view the the content would be on similar televisions with similar limitations its IMO the best entry level way of monitoring and putting your content out there in HDR as of today if you don't have access to the higher end monitoring.
    Did you have another suggestion for grading HDR under the $30K price tag of an X300 or dare I say, a Dolby Pulsar? I'm not trying to be snarky here at all but if you do I would love to know.